Seven Deadly Sins of Web Optimization
Web optimization, often referred to as search engine optimization (SEO), should be an integral part of your internet marketing strategy. As with any new(er) product, service or technology, it takes time to work out the kinks and get it right. This process is Darwinian in nature, as individuals and businesses of all shapes and sizes claim to be internet marketing specialists, all of which undoubtedly market themselves as providing “top search engine results.”When evaluating your internet marketing strategy and choosing web site optimization consultants going forward, consider these seven deadly sins of web site promotion that can condemn your business to the inferno of irrelevance that is Google’s basement.
- “If you build it, they will come.” – Well, maybe. Optimizing your site is not a one time cure all, it’s an ongoing process. Your site is a living, breathing part of your business – constantly feed it with quality content and optimized materials so it will grow and remain relevant on the organic search engine results pages (SERP’s).
- Flashing sites – Try and avoid a Flash-based web site. Flash sites might be attractive, but not to search engines and users. Search engine “crawlers” can’t read Flash content and therefore can’t index it – not good for your business.
- “Noticeable search results in two to three weeks!” – Once you’re finally convinced to invest in web promotion services, you hear this phrase from dozens of “social media experts.” Don’t fall for this sales pitch. It takes time to get your site to the top of the search engines like Google, but it’s worth the effort when done correctly.
- Did you know? – Google puts all newly indexed web sites into its “sandbox” where they are monitored for months before being permanently added to its database…there’s no breaking in line kids.
- Keywords and Key Phrases are two different things – Your regional furniture distribution business will not compete for the word “furniture” on Google – too much competition. Work with your internet marketing consultants to develop tightly targeted phrases that apply to your services, i.e. “Furniture distribution business in High Point, NC.”
- Already wearing too many hats? Try this white one – “White hat” SEO, or ethical and search engine approved web promotion is where you should be investing; don’t sacrifice your business’ long term reputation by cutting corners for short term results.
- o Still tempted by instant gratification? Read how BMW was banned from Google for “black hat” SEO (unethical/unapproved web promotion)
- Don’t be a bad neighbor – Link to other quality sites that your visitors may find as useful resource tools. The reciprocal links that may be created will also help increase your Google ranking and placement on other organic search pages.
- “Public Relations + Search Engine Optimization = Success” – Combine public relations with your web site optimization strategy for increased search engine results and new business inquiries. It’s one thing to apply key phrases and other web promotion techniques to your web site; it’s another to effectively market your web site and business in a credible, compelling and relevant manner.
- Consider online press releases, SEO copywriting services, regular blog posts, online articles, newsletters and how-to’s, etc.
It’s a lot of work, but nobody that knew what they’re talking about ever said success comes easy!